Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Another Thank You - Camp Food

Once again I find myself needing to say "thanks" to all those who have posted reviews, this time for camp food.
The family and I stayed 2 nights in the Greenbrier State Park camp site in Boonsboro, Maryland and had a really nice time (even in the 30 degree weather, but that is a whole other story!)
Because of all the folks who have tested and sampled camp meals and posted results we were fortunate to use this expertise to our advantage. I wish I had taken pictures (too cold to get the camera out), but our meals were amazingly good.
We made foil pocket breakfasts, one with hash browns, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage and cheese and the other all that in a burrito. I think we had the best breakfasts of the families we were with. So good, premade and frozen the night before then thawed and heated on the coals, no clean-up. For the dinner to share, we made pasta salad, hard boiled eggs and premade pull-apart cheese and ham and cheese sandwiches, just heat and serve. Of course we had the obligatory smores for dessert. I am not a fan of these things, so gross. Just give me a heaping tablespoon (or serving spoon) of Marshmellow Fluff and I'm good.

*On a side note, why does anyone think giving kids flaming sticks of hot, sticky goo and melted chocolate a good idea?
I did, however, see an alternative to flaming sticks of goo in the form of an ice cream cone with all the stuff tucked inside and wrapped in foil and neatly placed on the grill for a few moments to melt the chocolate. The recipe I saw has bananas, which (when I have a chance to try) I will replace with bacon!

There were so many ideas and pictures of delicious food posted for us to choose from I went for the easiest and less fussy, but all the recipes available sounded great. Since I don't camp much, I do not have the fancy camping supplies like a dutch oven or those fancy sandwich maker things - a reuben would be really good in that thing I bet! Heck, we don't even have a proper cooler - had to borrow a neighbors.

Anyhow, this is really a big "THANK YOU" to everyone that continue to post all those great ideas for everything - people are reading, especially me!

No comments:

Post a Comment