Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A little bit of Heaven

I meant to have all my latest vacation photos, commentaries and lessons learned up by now, but have gotten distracted by spring school activities, please forgive me.
One thing I must mention is how much I miss the food in Japan. I've tried to copy recipes, but I am the worst cook ever. My claim to fame, at least here in the household is nachos and Beefaroni - that is it. I can't even get those simple little white bread and ham sandwiches to taste the same as they did in Japan (and I ate plenty so I have an idea of how they taste.)
So when I went to my local Asian food mart I was happy to find a small food court with all my favorites. And although the food market is not a Japanese food market, the DC area is lacking BIG TIME!, I was still able to get katsudon served just like I got in Arashiyama. Oh man was it good too. I had the miso soup, salad with citrus dressing and pickled radish. I can't help but think of such good food every time I pass the exit on the highway to go to the store, but that would be so unfair of me to do such a thing to the family (hummmm.) Now if only someone can find me an okonomiyaki restaurant...


Here is a delicious example of one of the many ham sandwiches I enjoyed. The fishy rice triangle was for my better half. This exquisite meal was purchased in Odawara Station on our way to Kyoto from visitng Hakone.

1 comment: